Maybe you’ve already done it, or maybe you’ve been meaning to for years, but there’s no time like the present to kick poor habits to the curb. Check out our top picks for sustainable New Year’s resolutions and be a little greener in 2019.
Here are a few ideas for sustainable New Year’s resolutions you might consider this year:
- Eat less meat. Cutting back on your meat and dairy consumption is the ‘single biggest way’ to reduce your impact on Earth, according to Science Magazine. Shifting to more plant-based foods is essential to combating climate change, soil, air and water pollution, ocean dead zones and other problems caused by industrial livestock production.
- Consume less. We live in a society focused on consumption. New things, better things, things we don’t need… Before you buy, ask yourself these questions: Do I really need it? Am I replacing something or adding to what I have? How long will it last? Do I have to buy it new or can I get something secondhand or pre-owned? Are there more sustainable options?
- Don’t just recycle. Take action to refuse things you don’t need. For instance, saying any to plastic bags, bottles, extra packaging, and other plastics. Carry reusable bags and water bottles. Rather than purchasing items covered in plastic wrap at the grocery store, look around for the bin of loose veggies. Try to buy in bulk to cut down on packaging whenever possible and forego the produce bags at the store.
And a few additional tips in case the others were too easy for you 🙂
- Recycle — Missing recycling on the list? Always recycle paper, plastics, batteries, electronics and compostable waste whenever possible but first refuse, reduce and reuse.
- Share what you’re doing with your friends — Changing and improving the world is hard. Start a bit more local with family and friends. Convince them to start with a couple of these ideas for sustainable New Year’s resolutions. Take baby steps if needed.
- Remind yourself — Make a top list for yourself with the things you want to change in your life to live more sustainably and put it in somewhere at home where you’ll be reminded of it every day.
Looking for some other eco-friendly ideas for your sustainable New Year’s resolutions? You might like this post, Sustainability at Home + Beyond.
Go plastic free in 2019 and check out these 100 Steps to a Plastic-Free Life!